Hybrid Work Program

An office meeting with a mix of in-person and off-site staff.

Hybrid Work Program

Mount Royal University’s Hybrid Work Program program builds on the positive experiences employees and leaders had during the Hybrid Work Trial. Thanks to all who participated in the employee and leader surveys on their experiences during the trial. The results were positive overall. These key learnings from the Mount Royal community — along with an analysis of similar programs at other post-secondary institutions and elsewhere in the public service — informed our re-envisioned program, which came into effect Jan. 1, 2024.

Some highlights:

• The program is open to Mount Royal Staff Association members, and Exempt and Management employees up to the Director-level.
  • Eligibility criteria include ensuring service-levels will be maintained or improved; hybrid work aligning with departmental/team goals; and hybrid work being appropriate for the individual employee.
  • In most cases, employees will be expected to work on campus a minimum of three (3) days per week.
  • The new program recognizes the unique needs of different employee areas and provides processes that support effective solutions.

If your question isn’t answered in the FAQs below, please speak to your manager with any questions or concerns related to taking part in the program.

Application process

1. Review the Employee Assessment for Hybrid Work Program Participation Employee Assessment. It includes a thorough review of the position and circumstances to make sure you are eligible for the program.
  2. Review the Hybrid Work Program Guide to ensure a strong understanding of the guidelines.
  3. Fill out:
  4. Submit the completed forms to your manager. They will consider all factors related to position and personal suitability in determining if participation in the program is appropriate.
  5. If they provide preliminary approval, your manager then shares your request with the AVP/Dean for further review and final approval. If your manager denies your request, they provide you with the reasons why.
  6. The AVP/Dean reviews the request and follows a decision-making process. They share their decision with your manager, who then communicates it to you. If your request is approved, follow Step 7. If your request is denied, your manager provides the rationale for the decision.
  7. If your request is approved, complete the following and submit to your manager:

Survey results

As part of the Hybrid Work Trial that launched in 2022, Mount Royal committed to evaluate the trial and use the results to help inform a decision on the future of hybrid work at the University. In April 2023, two surveys were launched by the Office of Institutional Research and Planning: one for eligible employees and one supervisors of eligible employees. The survey results are available for review:

Frequently asked questions

What is the Hybrid Work Program?

The Hybrid Work Program is a re-envisioning of the Hybrid Work Trial, modified based on the feedback of employees who have participated in the program and their leaders. The program provides the framework for hybrid work arrangements on campus. Under the new guidelines, employees are expected to work on campus a minimum of three (3) days per week, with additional flexibility available for employees in positions where the work is highly independent in nature and little to no in-person contact is required. Only those roles that can be performed remotely, without compromising service levels and operational effectiveness are eligible.

Personal suitability is also a factor for consideration. Participation in the program is  subject to management approval and can be ended at any time with 14 days’ notice or less if there are security or performance concerns.

I want to take part in the program. What should I do?

Review the Hybrid Work Program Participation Employee Assessment to see if the position and your working style meet the requirements. Complete the Hybrid Work Program application and the Hybrid Work Agreement forms, and other additional forms as noted in the guide for submission to your manager. Follow the application process detailed on this webpage.

In my position, I work very independently and have little interaction with others. Is it possible for me to work remotely more frequently?

Under the program guidelines, employees are expected to work on campus a minimum of three (3) days per week. However, there may be additional flexibility for employees in positions where the work is highly independent in nature and little to no in-person contact is required. When deciding whether to provide additional flexibility, managers take into consideration the characteristics of the position and suitability of the individual, along with other factors such as team dynamics and cohesiveness. Any additional flexibility is provided at the sole discretion of management.

My manager provides me with flexibility from time to time when I need it. Is the Hybrid Work Program intended to capture these arrangements?

The Hybrid Work Program is intended to capture arrangements where remote work is regularly scheduled on a consistent basis. Ad hoc flexibility can be provided by managers outside of the program based on their own discretion.

I require flexible work arrangements due to an illness/injury/challenges related to family status and/or a protected ground. Is the Hybrid Work Program intended to capture these arrangements?

Employees requiring an accommodation due to an illness/injury or based on a protected ground must request the accommodation through Employee Wellness (employeewellness@mtroyal.ca). The Hybrid Work Program is not intended to be used in place of a formal accommodation.