Skip to content

COLUMN: My time with Airdrie City View and Rocky View Weekly

It’s been an eventful spring and summer, and my time working as a reporter with Airdrie City View and Rocky View Weekly has officially come to an end.
opinion

It’s been an eventful spring and summer, and my time working as a reporter with Airdrie City View and Rocky View Weekly has officially come to an end.

Mount Royal University’s journalism program requires that all third-year students take part in an internship to develop the real-life experiences required for the job of being a journalist. I can say with absolute certainty I have gained the skills to do that as I move into my final year of university and beyond.

I have many people to be thankful for.

My editor, Scott Strasser, played a significant role in my personal growth over the last five months. He always provided me with positive feedback and challenged my abilities. He put pressure on me, but never made me feel incapable of writing a story or hitting a deadline.

I can say through his mentorship that I have seen my writing improve significantly, and that my overall confidence as a journalist has reached new heights.

My co-worker Tim Kalinowski was always someone I could turn to for help. He never made me feel inadequate about my work. As someone who has been working as journalist for many years, his expertise was always something I could count on when I was in a rut.

I am beyond thankful for the Airdrie City View and Rocky View Weekly for providing me with the opportunity to gain real-life reporting experience this year. I hope I was a beneficial member of the team throughout the spring and summer.

And now to the people of the communities I reported on, I say with profound gratitude, thank you. Thank you for trusting me with your stories. Thank you for opening up. Thank you for showing me everything Airdrie and its surrounding communities have to offer.

Before starting my internship, I knew nothing about Airdrie or Rocky View County. After my time spent here, I can say these communities have something unique and special about them.

It is my hope I did the residents of Airdrie and Rocky View County proud in my work. I will cherish the moments of attending ribbon-cuttings, going to sporting events, talking about community initiatives, and hearing the heart-warming stories of the people I interviewed.

Looking to the future, I’m not sure where life will take me. I plan on finishing my last year of university and then see what doors remain open.

Regardless of the path I end up taking, my experience working here has allowed me to develop critical skills. These skills can be implemented in any career or future educational endeavours I embark on.

With that, I want to say one last thank you for all the well-rounded experiences this internship has offered me. 

Comments

No Facebook? No problem.

Here is how you can stay connected to the Airdrie City View and access local news in your community:

Bookmark our homepage for easy access to local news.
Pick up a copy of our newspaper and read local news that you cannot get elsewhere.
Sign up for our FREE newsletters to have local news & more delivered daily to your email inbox.
Download our mobile icon to have access to our news right at your fingertips.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks